Programming is currently modified for the safety of our clients, shoppers, volunteers, and staff.
ADOPT-A-FAMILY HOLIDAY GIFTS & MEALS
- Registration is OPEN for our holiday Adopt-a-Family program!
- This annual program provides financial assistance for Westerly-area neighbors to acquire holiday meals and gifts for children.
- To register as an individual or family who can benefit:
- Email [email protected], call (401) 377-8069 and select Option 1, or visit our Social Services office during its operating hours.
- To donate in support of the program:
- Email [email protected], call (401) 377-8069 x106, or visit the Jonnycake Thrift Store during its operating hours.
- Registration for Adoptees and Donors closes October 25, 2021!
- The Food Pantry is operating on a modified service model. If you have questions, or if are in need of food supplies for the first time, please call (401) 377-8069 and select Option 1.
- Food Donations are now accepted without an appointment on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays between 12pm and 3pm. Fresh produce and non-perishables are especially sought! Look for the big blue barrels outside the Food Pantry.
- The Pantry welcomes clients to its Power Pack program, which provides healthy breakfasts and lunches for school-age children for the weekends, plus extra during school breaks. Please contact Jonnycake Social Services at the info above to register. Registration is open and ongoing during the academic year.
- The Social Services office continues to be available to serve community members in need.
- Clients arriving for the Food Pantry or for Power Pack meals, or receiving Vouchers for the Thrift Store, can visit the Social Services office during open hours for assistance.
- Most Jonnycake Social Services are offered remotely, but some on-site services are temporarily suspended. A staff person is available via phone during all open hours to provide resources or answer questions at (401) 377-8069, Option 1.
- If you are new to our services, or are in need of financial assistance, please contact [email protected] or call (401) 377-8069, option 1.
- The Social Services office is currently open Monday afternoons (12pm to 3pm) and on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays (9am to 12pm). Social Services and the Pantry are also open Thursdays from 3pm to 6pm.
- Our Social Services department is collaborating with Age Friendly Westerly, an initiative among non-profits and care-providers to provide important, relevant information to older adults in our community. Former Social Services Program Director Sarah Cote participated in a PSA about community resources for local seniors. Watch the video here! Many more videos can be found on Age Friendly Westerly’s YouTube channel.
- To protect the Food Pantry and the safety of shoppers, volunteers, and staff, new Thrift Store shopping policies are in place.
- Store hours are:
- Mondays: Senior Shopping 9am to 11am / Public Shopping 11am to 4pm
- Tuesdays: 9am to 4pm
- Wednesdays: 9am to 4pm
- Thursdays: 9am to 6pm – open late!
- Fridays: 9am to 4pm
- Saturdays: 9am to 4pm
- Sundays: 10am to 2pm
- The last store entry will be 30 minutes before the posted closing time daily.
- With the likelihood of lines outside our building, and to avoid confusion in exiting, we suggest shoppers park in the public parking lot across Industrial Drive from Jonnycake. Shoppers are not allowed to enter or exit through our donation processing area.
- A limited number of shoppers are allowed in the Jonnycake Center of Westerly’s Thrift Store at one time. This number includes children and everyone in your party. We request that shopping trips are made solo, or with only one other person. If the store is full, arriving shoppers will be asked to wait outside.
- To gain entry to our building, everybody must wear a face mask, including those who have been COVID vaccinated. Face shields (without a face mask) cannot be accepted. No exceptions can be made to this policy. Shoppers who are unable to wear a face mask can contact the Store to receive alternate means of assistance.
- Please follow the one-way arrows in our aisles and maintain 6-foot social distancing spacing when shopping.
- Follow the Jonnycake Facebook page to see daily discounts, surprise sales, and early access to certain treasures.
- There are 3 easy ways to donate your goods to Jonnycake, helping us to fundraise for our Social Services & Food Pantry:
- Drive ‘N Drop Open Donations
- Clothes, small household goods, electronics, artwork, supplies, and other treasures are accepted without an appointment on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays*** between 10am and 2pm.
- Large items or furniture must be donated by appointment only (see below for more).
- Please pre-sort and bag or box your donations and place them into the labeled bins when you arrive.
- Face masks and social distancing are required while making your donation at Jonnycake.
- Appointments for No-Contact Drop-Offs and Furniture Drop-Offs
- If you prefer to make an appointment to donate your item(s), please email [email protected].
- Donations of furniture or large household goods can only be accepted via appointment.
- Appointments are available Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays between 9am and 3pm.
- On Thursdays, appointments are available from 9am to 4:30pm.
- Please email [email protected] to request a time.
- When you arrive, please ring the doorbell and wait for staff to inspect your furniture item(s) before you unload.
- Please wear a face mask and observe social distancing.
- Furniture Pick-Ups from the Jonnycake Truck
- Limited appointments are available.
- Please send a furniture description and pictures (if possible) to [email protected] to request a pick-up time.
- Jonnycake staff cannot enter your home or residence. Please make your donated furniture available outside, ideally protected from the elements.
- Only sellable-condition furniture (without rips, stains, claw marks, etc.) can be picked up via the Jonnycake truck. Please see above for how to donate household goods.
- Due to space constraints, our staff may occasionally not be able to accept certain items that would normally be considered sellable. We regret any inconvenience caused.
- Please never leave (“dump”) donations on our entryways after-hours. Doing so is a punishable offense due to the hazard it presents our staff and volunteers.
- All proceeds from Thrift sales directly support our Food Pantry and Social Services basic needs efforts.
- Volunteers of all ages and abilities are welcome! To learn more and get started volunteering with Jonnycake, please email [email protected].
- Visit our website often and make sure you follow us on social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) as we begin reinstating public fundraisers.
- To make a financial contribution in lieu of attending a Jonnycake event, please email Bambi Poppick, Development Director, at [email protected] or call (401) 377-8069 x105.
- Click here to make a secure donation via the Jonnycake website.
- We extend our heartfelt thanks to every person who has financially supported Jonnycake since March. Your contributions have enabled us to keep feeding families in need and providing critical basic needs services.
- Browse the latest news on our website to find announcements of some of the wonderful support received from community partners and foundations.
- A limited amount of backpacks and school supplies, and hygiene essentials, are available for local families who could benefit.
- Please contact Jonnycake Social Services to learn more.
- No previous client experience necessary!
- Thanks to Wood River Health Services, Back to School Celebration of Rhode Island, Opening Doors for Westerly’s Children, and Washington Trust for helping make school supplies available.