Social Services

Getting help is easy.


1. Bring a face mask, photo ID, proof of residency, and proof of dependents


2. Fill out paperwork and meet with case manager


3. Receive services and referral

For more detailed Services information, please click on the tabs below.


When can I come?


For general services:

Mondays 12 – 3
Tuesdays 9 – 12
Wednesdays 9 – 12
Thursdays 9 – 12 & 3 – 6
Fridays 9 – 12


For food orders:
Saturdays 9 – 12


Phone Number:  (401) 377-8069, option 1.



Am I eligible for services?


In order to be eligible for services at the Jonnycake Center you must be a resident of either Westerly, Charlestown, Richmond or Hopkinton, Rhode Island. A copy of your lease or utility bill must be provided to prove residence.



What else do I need to bring with me?


Please bring with you a face mask, current state-issued photo ID or passport. Military Ids, prison Ids, temporary Ids, and birth certificates will also be accepted in lieu of a state photo-ID.



Is there an income limit to receive services?


The Jonnycake Center considers many factors when determining eligibility for the services it provides. Each family situation is unique and many factors are considered. We do ask that clients provide proof of income.


Folks already receiving SNAP (food stamps) benefits need only provide their DHS award letter. If you are not receiving SNAP, please provide current pay stubs; Social Security award letters; unemployment, TDI, Workmen’s Compensation benefit statements; proof of child support payments; etc. You can call our Social Services Office for more details.



Eligible clients are able to shop in the store with a voucher for clothing every three months, and household items and furniture once every six months.  Please see the Social Services Department staff for voucher forms.


In cases of extreme financial crisis, financial assistance is available to clients unable to meet the expenses of basic needs, such as heat, housing, utilities, and education. Priority is given to households that contain minor children, elderly or disabled adults, or veterans.


What kind of financial assistance is available?


Financial aid is available for housing, utilities, heat, medical assistance, and education.



What do I need to bring with me?


Please bring your most recent bill with you.  If you are applying for assistance with rent, you will be asked to have your landlord complete a Landlord Form verifying how much money is owed. Forms are available in the Social Services Department.



How long does it take to apply?


Clients applying for financial assistance can expect to update their financial information and have a sit-down interview with the Case Coordinator which will last about twenty minutes.  Financial applications are reviewed on a weekly basis by the Financial Assistance Committee which is comprised of the Board of Directors and Senior Staff.



How will I know if my application was approved?


You will be notified in about a week that your application was approved, denied, or pending and will be considered the following week.  Unfortunately, the Center receives far more requests than we can fulfill.  Priority is given to applications from households that contain a minor child, disabled or elderly adults or veterans.



What kinds of bills will not be considered for financial assistance?


The Center will not consider requests for payment of cable/satellite, cell phone, and internet bills as these services are not consider essential basic needs.



Will you consider helping with a mortgage payment?


Yes, we will consider financial aid for a mortgage payment.



For assistance with SNAP, please contact Jonnycake Social Services. Call (401) 377-8069, Option 1 or email our Social Services office at [email protected].

SPLASH Program

The Summer Program Looking to Alleviate Student Hunger (SPLASH) runs during the summer months and over school vacations in order to ensure that students who receive free or reduced breakfast and lunch at school do not miss those meals when they are home.  Eligible families living in Westerly, Hopkinton, Charlestown or Richmond are encouraged to sign up through the Jonnycake Center Social Services Department.  Groceries are available for pick-up the week prior to vacations, or weekly during the summer.

Power Pack Program

The Power Pack program offers nutritious, delicious supplies for school-age children on weekends and holidays during the school year. This program is intended to supplement the nutrition of students who depend on access to meals at school. Eligible families living in Westerly, Hopkinton, Charlestown or Richmond are encouraged to sign up through the Jonnycake Center Social Services Department.

Domestic Violence Advocacy Program

Domestic violence does not discriminate between economic class, age, gender, or race and is affecting many of our neighbors right here in Westerly. The Jonnycake Center is here to provide advocacy and empowerment to victims through our Domestic Violence Advocacy Program. Every Monday from 12pm-3pm and Wednesday from 9am to 12pm we will have an advocate from the Domestic Violence Resource Center of South County here to provide confidential, face-to-face advisement in safety and financial planning, court processes and advocacy, barriers and solutions to leaving, and understanding what makes a healthy relationship. Know you are not alone!


For more information on this program, call our Social Service Agency at 401-377-8069 ext. 101 or come in person Wednesdays from 9am to 12pm. If you need immediate assistance call the statewide domestic violence hotline at 1-800-494-8100. If you are in immediate danger, call 911.


Read The Westerly Sun’s article about our program to learn more about addressing domestic violence.

Adopt-a-Family Holiday Meals and Presents for Children

The Adopt-a-Family Program provides financial assistance during the holidays for our community. Assistance is made available so that clients can make their own unique and personal purchasing decisions that best suit the needs of their families. Registered clients receive gift cards to Westerly-area grocers and retailers so that they can purchase food, supplies, and gifts for children.


If you or your family can benefit from this program, contact our Social Services offic. Email [email protected], call (401) 377-8069 and select Option 1, or visit the Social Services office during its operating hours.


To register as a Donor in support of the program, contact Lee Eastbourne, Executive Director, by October 25, 2021. Email [email protected], call (401) 377-8069 x106, or visit our Thrift Store during its operating hours.

Birthday Presents for Children

Contact the Jonnycake Social Services office to learn about receiving a FREE birthday toy or present for your school-age child! Clients can take advantage of this new program that offers birthday presents in time for your kid’s birthday. Get in touch with us today! *Program valid while supplies last.

Coats and Gloves for Children

Every fall, winter coats, hats and mittens are distributed to children in need. If you would like to help or you know of a child who needs warm clothes for the winter, please contact the Social Services Department at (401) 377-8069 ext. 101.


Rhode Island Coalition to End Homelessness has a variety of helpful resources in Southern Rhode Island and Newport.



Want to learn more about hunger and how to help?  The Rhode Island Community Food Bank has some excellent resources and information:



Find more about resources in Washington County.